If you are new to the world of makeup, you might be feeling overwhelmed by the sheer number of products, tools, and techniques that are available. You might be wondering what are the basic makeup products for beginners that you need to start your makeup journey. You might also be confused about how to apply them correctly to achieve a flawless and natural look.
Don’t worry, we are here to help you. In this blog post, we will share with you 10 basic makeup products for beginners that you need to have in your beginner makeup kit. We will also guide you on how to apply them step by step, with some tips and tricks along the way. By the end of this post, you will have a clear idea of what makeup products to buy and how to use them like a pro.
So, let’s get started!
Moisturizer is one of the most important makeup products for beginners. The first and most important step in any makeup routine is to prep your skin with a good moisturizer. Moisturizing your skin will hydrate it, smooth it, and make it ready for the makeup products that you will apply later. It will also prevent your makeup from looking dry, cakey, or patchy.
How to apply:
Wash your face with a mild cleanser and dab it gently with a soft cloth.
Take a pea-sized amount of moisturizer and dot it all over your face and neck.
Gently massage the moisturizer into your skin using upward and outward motions.
Wait for a few minutes until the moisturizer is fully absorbed before moving on to the next step.
A primer is an also must have makeup product for beginners that you apply after moisturizer and before foundation. It helps to create a smooth and even base for your makeup and makes it last longer. It also helps to minimize the appearance of pores, fine lines, and other imperfections on your skin. It is a must for a beginner's makeup kit.
How to apply:
Take a small amount of primer and apply it to your face, focusing on the areas where you have large pores, fine lines, or oily zones.
Blend the primer well with your fingers or a sponge until it is evenly distributed.
Wait for a few seconds until the primer sets before applying foundation.
A foundation is a basic makeup product for beginners that you apply on top of primer to even out your skin tone and cover any blemishes or discolorations. It comes in different forms, such as liquid, cream, powder, or stick. It also comes in different coverage levels, such as sheer, medium, or full. Depending on your preference and skin type, you can choose the foundation that suits you best.
How to apply:
- Choose a foundation shade that matches your skin tone as closely as possible. You can test the shade by swatching it on your jawline or neck and seeing if it blends well with your natural skin color.
- Take a small amount of foundation and dot it on your forehead, nose, cheeks, chin, and neck.
- Blend the foundation well with a sponge, brush, or fingers until there are no visible streaks or patches.
- Build up the coverage as needed by applying more foundation on the areas where you need more coverage.
We recommend L Factor New York Foundation. This is a lightweight foundation that gives you a natural-looking coverage with a dewy finish. It is infused with vitamin E and argan oil, which provides a boost of nourishment and radiance. It also has SPF 20, which protects your skin from sun damage.
A concealer is one of the essential makeup products for beginners that you apply after foundation to conceal any imperfections that are still visible, such as dark circles, acne scars, redness, or hyperpigmentation. It usually has a thicker consistency than foundation and provides more coverage. It also comes in different shades and undertones to match different skin tones and concerns. Concealer is a must have makeup product that you should keep in your makeup kit.
How to apply:
- Choose a concealer shade that is one or two shades lighter than your foundation shade for brightening your under-eye area. Choose a concealer shade that is the same as your foundation shade for covering blemishes or discolorations on the rest of your face.
- Apply the concealer with a small brush or your finger on the areas where you need more coverage, such as under your eyes, around your nose, on your chin, or on any spots or marks.
- Blend the concealer well with a sponge, brush, or finger until it seamlessly merges with your foundation.
We recommend the Concealer from L Factor New York. This is a cult-favorite concealer that instantly erases dark circles, fine lines, and puffiness under your eyes. It has a sponge applicator that makes it easy to apply and blend. It also has goji berry extract, which are ingredients that help to reduce the appearance of dark circles over time.
5. Setting Powder (Compact)
Compact or setting powder is an another basic makeup product for beginners. You apply it after foundation and concealer to set your makeup and make it last longer. It also helps to mattify your skin and reduce any shine or oiliness. It comes in different forms, such as loose or pressed powder. It also comes in different shades and finishes, such as translucent or tinted, matte or luminous.
How to apply:
- Choose a setting powder that matches your skin tone and desired finish. If you want a natural look, go for a translucent or lightly tinted powder. If you want more coverage or color, go for a darker or more pigmented powder.
- Apply the setting powder with a large fluffy brush or a powder puff on the areas where you applied foundation and concealer, such as your forehead, nose, cheeks, chin, and neck.
- Gently press or sweep the powder on your skin until it is evenly distributed. Do not rub or drag the powder, as it might disturb your base makeup.
We recommend Matte Compact Powder from L Factor New York. This is a pressed powder that gives you a smooth and matte finish without looking cakey or chalky. It is suitable for normal to oily skin types and helps to control shine and minimize pores. The powder utilizes encapsulation technology to provide active hydration to your skin, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. The powder is also enriched with Vitamin E, which has antioxidant properties.
A blush is a must for a beginner's makeup kit that you apply on your cheeks to add some color and life to your face. It comes in different forms, such as powder, cream, gel, or liquid. It also comes in different shades and finishes, such as pink, peach, coral, or plum, matte, shimmer, or satin.
How to apply:
- Choose a blush shade that complements your skin tone and undertone. If you have fair skin with cool undertones, go for pink or plum blushes. If you have medium skin with warm undertones, go for peach or coral blushes. If you have dark skin with neutral undertones, go for berry or mauve blushes.
- Apply the blush with a medium-sized fluffy brush or your fingers on the apples of your cheeks. Smile and find the roundest part of your cheeks and apply the blush there.
- Blend the blush well with circular motions until it looks natural and seamless. Do not apply too much blush or too close to your nose or mouth, as it might look clownish.
We recommend the Lip & Cheek Tint from L Factor New York. This is a multi-purpose product that can be used as both a lip color and a cheek color. It has a creamy texture that blends easily and gives you a sheer wash of color. It is enriched with vitamin E and shea butter, which moisturize and nourish your lips and cheeks.
A highlighter is also a regular makeup product for beginners that you apply on the high points of your face to add some glow and dimension. It comes in different forms, such as powder, cream, liquid, or stick. It also comes in different shades and finishes, such as champagne, gold, rose gold, or silver, metallic, glittery, or pearlescent.
How to apply:
- Choose a highlighter shade that matches your skin tone and desired glow level. If you want a subtle glow, go for a highlighter that is one or two shades lighter than your skin tone. If you want an intense glow, go for a highlighter that is three or four shades lighter than your skin tone.
- Apply the highlighter with a small fluffy brush or your fingers on the areas where the light naturally hits your face, such as your cheekbones, brow bones, inner corners of your eyes, bridge of your nose, cupid’s bow of your lips, and chin.
- Blend the highlighter well until it looks smooth and shiny. Do not apply too much highlighter or too close to your eyes or mouth, as it might look greasy or emphasize fine lines.
8. Eyebrow Product
An eyebrow product is a must have eye makeup product for beginner that you use to fill in, shape, and define your eyebrows. It comes in different forms, such as pencil, powder, gel, or pomade. It also comes in different shades and finishes, such as brown, black, taupe, or gray, matte or glossy.
Eye Brow Product
How to apply:
- Choose an eyebrow product that matches your natural eyebrow color and desired effect. If you want a natural look, go for a pencil or powder that is one or two shades lighter than your eyebrow color. If you want a bold look, go for a gel or pomade that is the same or darker than your eyebrow color.
- Apply the eyebrow product with a small angled brush or a spoolie on your eyebrows. Start from the inner corner of your eyebrow and follow the natural shape of your brow. Use short and light strokes to mimic the appearance of hair. Fill in any sparse areas and extend the tail of your brow if needed.
- Blend the eyebrow product well with a spoolie until it looks smooth and natural. Do not apply too much product or too close to your eyes, as it might look harsh or unnatural.
An eyeshadow is a must have eye makeup product for beginners that you apply on your eyelids to add some color and dimension to your eyes. It comes in different forms, such as powder, cream, liquid, or stick. It also comes in different shades and finishes, such as nude, brown, black, or colorful, matte, shimmer, or glitter.
How to apply:
- Choose an eyeshadow shade that complements your eye color and skin tone. If you want a simple look, go for a neutral eyeshadow that is one or two shades darker than your skin tone. If you want a dramatic look, go for a dark or colorful eyeshadow that contrasts with your eye color.
- Apply the eyeshadow with an eyeshadow brush or your finger on your eyelids. Start from the outer corner of your eye and blend inward towards the crease. Use a lighter shade on the inner corner and brow bone to highlight your eyes. Use a darker shade on the outer corner and lower lash line to define your eyes.
- Blend the eyeshadow well with a fluffy brush until it looks smooth and seamless. Do not apply too much eyeshadow or too close to your eyes, as it might look messy or overpowering.
We recommend the Matte Eyeshadow Palette from L Factor New York. This is a versatile eyeshadow palette that has nine shades of eyeshadows in matte, shimmer, and metallic finishes. It allows you to create endless eye looks for any occasion, mood, or outfit. The eyeshadows are highly pigmented, blendable, and long-lasting.
A mascara is another basic makeup product for beginners that you must keep in your makeup kit. It is applied on your eyelashes to make them look longer, thicker, and darker. It comes in different forms, such as liquid, cream, or gel. It also comes in different shades and effects, such as black, brown, blue, or purple, volumizing, lengthening, curling, or waterproof.
How to apply:
- Choose a mascara that matches your eyelash color and desired effect. If you want a natural look, go for a brown mascara that adds some volume and length to your lashes. If you want a dramatic look, go for a black mascara that adds some curl and definition to your lashes.
- Apply the mascara with the wand on your eyelashes. Start from the base of your lashes and wiggle the wand upward to the tips of your lashes. Apply one or two coats of mascara depending on how intense you want your lashes to look.
- Apply the mascara on both your upper and lower lashes for a balanced look. Do not apply too much mascara or too close to your eyes, as it might clump or smudge.
We recommend VolumEyes Mascara from L Factor New York is an all-in-one mascara that gives you voluminous, lengthened, and curled lashes in one swipe. It has a curved wand that lifts and separates your lashes for a clump-free and smudge-proof application. It also contains castor oil and vitamin E, which nourish and condition your lashes.
And there you have it, 10 basic makeup products for beginners and how to apply them. With these products in your beginner makeup kit, you can create any look you want, from natural to glam. You can find all these products and more at L Factor New York, a vegan and cruelty-free makeup brand that offers high-quality products at affordable prices.