If you love using makeup brushes to create flawless and stunning looks, you probably know how important it is to keep them clean and hygienic. Dirty makeup brushes can harbor bacteria, dirt, oil, and old makeup that can cause breakouts, infections, and irritation on your skin. Not to mention, they can also affect the quality and performance of your makeup application.
Cleaning your makeup brushes may seem like a tedious and time-consuming task, but it doesn’t have to be. In this article, we will show you the easiest way to clean your makeup brushes at home using simple and affordable products. You will also learn how often you should clean your makeup brushes and sponges, and how to store them properly.
What you need to clean your makeup brushes
To clean your makeup brushes, you don’t need any fancy or expensive products. You can use some common household items that you probably already have in your kitchen or bathroom. Here are the things you need to clean your makeup brushes:
- A gentle shampoo or cleanser. You can use baby shampoo, clarifying shampoo, or a mild facial cleanser to wash your makeup brushes. These products are gentle enough for your skin and hair, so they won’t damage or dry out your brush bristles.
- A small bowl or cup. You can use any small container that can hold some water and shampoo or cleanser. You will use this to make a cleaning solution for your brushes.
- A brush cleaning mat or glove. This is an optional but helpful tool that can make your brush cleaning process easier and more effective. A brush cleaning mat or glove is a textured surface that you can use to rub your brushes against to remove stubborn makeup residue and dirt. You can buy a brush cleaning mat or glove online or at a beauty store, or you can DIY one using a silicone oven mitt or a textured sponge.
- A towel or paper towel. You will need this to dry your brushes after washing them. You can use any clean and soft towel or paper towel that can absorb water well.
- A brush holder or organizer. This is another optional but helpful tool that can help you store your brushes properly after cleaning them. A brush holder or organizer is a device that can hold your brushes upright or upside down while they dry. This can prevent water from dripping into the brush handle and damaging the glue that holds the bristles together. You can buy a brush holder or organizer online or at a beauty store, or you can DIY one using a hair tie, a rubber band, or some clips.
How to clean your makeup brushes step by step
Now that you have everything you need to clean your makeup brushes, let’s get started with the easy steps:
- Gather all your dirty makeup brushes and sponges. You may want to separate them by type, such as face brushes, eye brushes, lip brushes, etc., for easier cleaning.
- Fill your bowl or cup with some warm water and add a few drops of shampoo or cleanser. Mix well to create a sudsy solution.
- Dip one brush at a time into the solution and swirl it around gently to loosen up the makeup residue and dirt. Avoid submerging the whole brush head into the water, as this can damage the glue that holds the bristles together.
- If you have a brush cleaning mat or glove, place it on your palm or on the sink and rub the brush against it in circular motions. This will help dislodge any stubborn product and dirt from the bristles.
- Rinse the brush under running water until the water runs clear and no soap remains. Squeeze out the excess water gently with your fingers.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 for each brush until all of them are clean.
- For sponges, soak them in the solution for a few minutes and then squeeze them gently to release the makeup residue and dirt. Rinse them under running water until the water runs clear and no soap remains. Squeeze out the excess water gently with your fingers.
- Lay your brushes flat on a towel or paper towel and let them air dry completely before using them again. If you have a brush holder or organizer, you can use it to hang your brushes upside down while they dry.
- Enjoy your clean and fresh makeup brushes and sponges!
How often should you clean your makeup brushes
There is no definitive answer to how often you should clean your makeup brushes, as it depends on how often you use them, what kind of products you use with them, and how sensitive your skin is.
However, as a general rule of thumb, you should aim to clean your makeup brushes at least once every two weeks if you use them regularly with liquid or cream products, such as foundation, concealer, blush, etc.
If you use them occasionally with powder products, such as eyeshadow, bronzer, highlighter, etc., you can get away with cleaning them once every month.
For sponges, you should clean them after every use or at least once a week, as they tend to absorb more product and bacteria than brushes.
Of course, these are just guidelines and you can adjust them according to your personal preference and needs. The main thing is to keep your makeup brushes and sponges clean and hygienic, so you can enjoy using them without worrying about harming your skin or your makeup.
Also Read! How to choose lipstick shades
How to store your makeup brushes
After cleaning your makeup brushes, you should also store them properly to keep them in good shape and condition. Here are some tips on how to store your makeup brushes:
- Store your makeup brushes in a cool and dry place, away from direct sunlight, heat, and moisture. This will prevent them from getting moldy, rusty, or damaged.
- Store your makeup brushes in a clean and closed container, such as a makeup bag, a brush roll, a ziplock bag, or a plastic box. This will prevent them from getting dirty, dusty, or contaminated by other products or surfaces.
- Store your makeup brushes with the bristles facing up or sideways, not down. This will prevent the bristles from getting bent, frayed, or misshapen.
- Store your makeup brushes separately from your makeup products, especially liquid or cream ones. This will prevent them from getting stained, sticky, or oily.
Cleaning your makeup brushes is an easy and essential task that can make a big difference in your skin health and makeup application. By following the simple steps in this article, you can clean your makeup brushes at home using affordable and accessible products. You can also learn how to clean your makeup brushes and sponges more frequently and store them properly to keep them clean and hygienic.
We hope you found this article helpful and informative. If you have any questions or feedback, please let us know in the comments below. Thank you for reading!